Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Last of the Raspberries

I just ate the last spoonful of raspberries from the quart I bought in Ann Arbor at the Farmers Market last Saturday.  And I am sad.  I wanted to hold those last berries on my tongue forever.  While I know it has been fall for a month now, somehow summer just ended today.  And it wasn't with my last outdoor soccer game, or Labor Day Weekend, or the start of football or the Tigers' season ending.  Although all of those things were a little bit of the end of summer.   It was the last, beautiful raspberries that turned the page on the season and landed me squarely into autumn.

And as much as I love fall in Michigan with the football and hockey and sweaters and apples and colorful trees and brisk air, I'm still never ready for summer to end.  A holdover from childhood when the end of summer means the beginning of the school year?  Perhaps.

But more than that, recently I have just wanted to stop time and freeze moments forever.  Time goes by way too fast these days.  And very rarely do I stop to savor the good stuff in life, as I'm too much in a hurry to get the next thing done.

But I savored those raspberries. And now I'm going out in my backyard to sit in the sunshine with my fifteen year old cat and watch the leaves fall off my oak tree, grateful we are both still here to enjoy the day.



No comments: