Sunday, August 31, 2008

Squeeze!

Wow! When I made my Perennial Dining Companion get me tickets to see Squeeze at the Royal Oak Music Theater I didn't know Aimee Mann would be warming up. I love Aimee Mann's plaintive yet powerful songs. She was wonderful, although I would really like to see her in a smaller venue. That said, Squeeze was amazing. Despite the fact that we are 25 years passed their heyday, the band were beyond tight, nailing song after song both vocally and instrumentally (and somehow making me proud to be in my 40s like the band). And despite the fact that I grew up with my sister playing a Squeeze cassette in a boombox in our 79 Caprice Classic (lemon yellow, no less, but with a broken tape player), I had no idea how intricate the music was and how talented the musicians are. Still in full voice, the band delivered in a way many reunion tours don't. If they pass through your town, buy tickets and prepare to enjoy yourself. It's a rare treat for those of us at (or past) a certain age to hear our music played this well.

No comments: