Friday, November 21, 2008

Zingerman's Bake!

My friend, Lisa, and I had signed up this summer to take a class at Zingerman's bakeshop in Ann Arbor this fall called Amber Waves of Grain: American Breads. We attended the class in November and what a great time! We expected to learn about how to make bread from scratch and our expectations were exceeded. Not only did we learn about baking bread (and walked away with three terrific recipes), but we were very entertained and the snacks were tremendous. Our instructor was Alejandro and he explained things very well. He had two assistants (I believe they were Candie and Shelby) helping so we didn't have to do any "work" such as clean up and measuring. All we had to do was blend, knead, shape, wait and eat!

We made a whole grain "Margaret" bread, a bakehouse white, and a cornbread and took home five loaves total. All the breads were delicious and we got to try a slice at Zingerman's. There is no comparison to mass produced prepackaged bread. All the ingredients in our bread were easily pronounced and understandable (flour, sugar, eggs, butter, yeast, honey, etc.).

My perennial dining companion was very impressed. I will absolutely start making my own bread as I have time.

I would highly recommend their classes. They were well organized and efficient as well as entertaining and effective. Plus, they ended on time and were a great value.

Visit Zingerman's:

http://www.bakewithzing.com/index.php

No comments: