Monday, August 22, 2011

Dinner for 1? Stir fry made simple.


I am a huge fan of using up odds and ends left over in my refrigerator. I consider it be fun (even after a long Monday at work) to see what you can come up with that uses left over ingredients yet yields a tasty result. Even more challenging is that my perennial dining companion was working late so I was cooking for one.

Here's what I had: leftover rice and coconut milk from a Thai chicken recipe I had made yesterday and a variety of CSA veggies needing to be used plus a pantry full of staples. The answer - stir fry. Here goes:

Saute together for about 10 minutes (or until veggies are softened but not smushy) in a small amount of oil:

1 leek or green onion, cleaned and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup green beans in 1 inch-sized pieces
2 very small summer squash, diced
2 small carrots, peeled and diced

Meanwhile, mix together:

2 tbsp peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp fish sauce
1/4 tsp red hot pepper flakes
dash garlic powder

And heat left over rice (thoroughly) in a microwave

Mix the peanut butter mixture in with the veggies and heat through. Pour over rice and stir to combine.

Dinner is served.



No comments: