Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Gotta use the CSA Box Tuscan Bean Soup Recipe



First of all, let me say I love my CSA. Organic, fresh produce that varies weekly from a local farm - you can't beat it. But, the dark leafy greens continue to perplex me. They are good for me. I even like them. But what to do with them when they show up in my CSA box week after week. More to the point, what to do with them week after week that my perennial dining companion will want to enjoy as dinner. It is like a home kitchen Iron Chef competition - only I am the only contestant. Your ingredient is Kale.

I also have from the CSA these beautiful Tongue of Fire shelling beans, leeks, potatoes, carrots, and garlic. I picked up tomatoes at the farmer's market. Add ham and chicken broth and the answer is easy. The answer is soup!

1 quart chicken broth (I use organic - if I don't have some stock in the freezer)
1 leek, cleaned and chopped, white part only
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped fine
4 small carrots, peeled and diced
3 cups shelled beans like Tongue of Fire - if you don't have them use 2 cans of great northern beans. Either way, rinse the beans.
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups kale, rinsed and chopped
1-2 cups diced ham
2 tomatoes - blanched, peeled and diced or 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf

Grated Parmesan cheese for serving, optional

Heat the broth and add the leek, carrots, garlic and spices. Simmer for five minutes or so. Add the beans and potatoes and simmer for about 30 more minutes. Test the beans and potatoes to see if they are tender (fresh beans will take longer). If they are close add the tomatoes (see note at the end). Simmer 5 more minutes and then add the kale. Cook until the kale has turned bright green and has shrunk a bit (3-4 more minutes). Taste for seasoning, remove the bay leaf. top with cheese if desired and enjoy. This serves about 4.

Note:

To make the tomatoes, heat water to a boil. Cut the core out of each tomato and make an x with your knife in the bottom of the tomato (be careful). Drop each tomato into the boiling water for about a minute, then remove and soak in cold water for five minutes or so. When they have cooled, peel the skin off and dice them. I don't worry about the seeds but you could seed them if you prefer.

No comments: