Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Running in November in Michigan

I am normally a morning runner.  There is something tremendously satisfying about kicking off your morning with a run (topped perhaps only by kicking it off with a hockey clinic).   A morning run starts the day with fresh possibilities, allowing time for planning and reflection.  And even if all you plan out is your outfit for work that day, having that thirty to forty-five minutes to zen out  while  pounding the pavement is priceless.    Best of all, it is done.  Nothing in the day that comes after your run can take it away. That good running feeling lasts the whole day and makes it better.

That said, I don't like to run in the rain.  Especially if there isn't a soccer ball involved.  But I hate missing a run.  Especially in November when I know my days of running outside in Michigan are numbered.  And so this morning, despite the relatively warm temperatures, I went to work in the rain without my run, only to watch the sky brighten throughout the day.  And an idea took hold.

I arrived home about 6:30, and quickly changed into running gear (shorts and a t-shirt as it was over 60 degrees out) before I could talk myself out of it.  After all, the house needed cleaning,  the cats missed me,   I had email to answer, lunches to assemble,  and a hockey bag to pack for my Wednesday morning clinic.  But nothing could deter me.  I was going to have at least one more sixty degree run this year. And it was going to be tonight.

What an awesome run it was!  Summer bugs still chirping and calling yet I could smell fall in the  leaves on the ground and hear them crunch under my feet.  The air warm with a breeze out of the south on my skin.  Perfection.  

And I know winter is coming.  But it isn't here yet.  And I will hold onto this run as long as I can, until spring if need be.  And whisper a quiet thank you for the beautiful day we had today.


No comments: