Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Spinach Lentil Salad



This week's CSA goodies  inspire creativity once again!  Having been informed by my perennial dining companion that his daily lunch salad needs a little more diversity of ingredients, I used up a few odds and ends and came up with a keeper.  This recipe feeds two, generously, in my house.  I did put a lot more spinach in my bowl than my PDC's, however.

Salad:

 1 cup cooked lentils (see note below)
 4-5 radishes, well rinsed and diced
 1/4 cup red onion, diced
 4 smallish carrots, peeled and chopped
 4 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed and spun dry and chopped (remove any thick stems)
 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (plus a little more for topping, optional)

Dressing:

1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup  good quality olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
few grinds of black pepper


Combine the salad ingredients and toss.   Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and stir into the salad ingredients.   Refrigerate for at least one hour.  Divide the salad into two bowls and top with additional feta crumbles if desired.

Lentil Note:

I used Bob's Red Mill brown lentils, rinsed and picked over, if you use a half cup of dried lentils and 1.5 cups of chicken broth when cooking, you will be in good shape.  I made the lentils and then let them cool in a separate bowl while I prepared the rest of the salad ingredients.








No comments: