Sunday, March 8, 2009

Saturday in and about A2

Saturday morning this weekend started out and stayed soggy though warmish. But I ventured out to the Ann Arbor Farmer's market early Saturday and was rewarded with an expanded array of vendors and products. I left happy with several bags of salad greens, a small bag of Empire Apples, some cider and a loaf of bread from the Mill Pond Bakery (which made a tremendous grilled cheese sandwich later for lunch). The tamales were back, although for the first time I've seen this year as well. Sure sign of spring.

Later that day, we headed back down to Ypsilanti for an early dinner at Sidetrack. I had the macaroni and cheese and a mug of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. It's hard to admit, but I think I may like the Two Hearted Ale even better than Oberon. I'll get back to you on it though. My perennial dining companion got the Shepherd's pie and it was extremely good as well. Every time we visit, we know it's been too long since the last time. The burgers are excellent. Visit:


http://www.sidetrackbarandgrill.com/


After Sidetrack we ventured to Hill Auditorium to watch the New York Philharmonic Orchestra with Lorin Maazel directing. They performed Mendelssohn and Schumann, both excellent, but the highlight was Mussorgsky's pictures at an exhibition. Amazing music in a terrific venue.

http://www.ums.org/s_current_season/artist.asp?pageid=487

No comments: