Sunday, December 19, 2010

Running in December in MIchigan

Winter arrived early in Michigan this year. Early as in blizzard conditions and single digit lows even before the official start of winter this Tuesday. There are a lot of my fellow Michiganders who love winter for the beauty of the snow on the pine trees or because they are avid skiers. Then there are those who hate the winter because of the treacherous roads. And then there is me. I love some aspects of winter. The brisk feel of the breeze on your face. Michigan Hockey. Red Wings Hockey. The way my backyard looks. Fires in the fireplace. Playoff football. Cats sleeping on your lap. My awesome new Quebec Nordiques toque. Then there is the downside. Three hour round trip commutes. Slippery roads. A lack of fresh, local produce (I refuse to eat any wooden tomatoes that arrive on my salad).

But for me, the real definition of winter comes down to running. Can I run outside? And not just because of the occasional thunderstorm. But am I forced onto the treadmill at Lifetime to maintain my fitness for multiple days on end due to exceptionally cold weather or unsafe footing? That's winter. And it happened this year even before Christmas. I have to bribe myself to get on the treadmill with a mental "You only have to go three miles." Even the high-tech treadmills at Lifetime have no appeal. Bundling up with three layers of high-tech fabric and braving the elements is infinitely preferable to running like cattle on a row of treadmills at the gym. I experimented this week. Tuesday on the treadmill. Saturday outside in layers. Saturday was the hands-down winner. So I will go to Lifetime and get on the treadmill (and in a way be grateful I have that option). But my heart is outside, bundled up, feeling the breeze. And hoping for an early spring.

1 comment:

yorbacus said...

It is always nice in the basement!